U.S. Women’s soccer superstar Kelley O’Hara has become the hero of the game after she noticed another player throw the American Flag on the ground for a photo-op. O-Hara immediately saw what went down and ran straight to the flag to pick it up.
Allie Long dropped the flag, Kelley picked it up and it was all caught on video…
After this moment a lot of people are hearing about her for the first time. So here are 5 things you didn’t know about Kelley O’Hara, the hero who rescued the American Flag.
1. O’Hara is a native of Fayetteville, Georgia and has started almost every game for the U.S. team.
2. O’Hara went to Star’s Mill High School in Fayetteville, and played for youth clubs in Peachtree City before she went to Stanford University in California. She currently plays professionally for Utah Royals FC.
3. She is openly Gay. After the game she went over to her girlfriend and they kissed.
4. O’Hara was featured along with her national teammates in the EA Sports’ FIFA video game series starting in FIFA 16, the first time women players were included in the game.
5. Following the United States’ win at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, O’Hara and her teammates became the first women’s sports team to be honored with a Ticker tape parade in New York City. Each player received a key to the city from Mayor Bill de Blasio. In October of the same year, the team was honored by President Barack Obama at the White House.